Educated at Harvard under Walter Gropius and Jose Luis Sert and trained in the Cambridge office of Paul Rudolph, William Morgan was appointed a Lehman Fellow of Harvard University and studied as a Fulbright grantee in Italy in 1958 and 1959.
Subsequently, he received a Wheelwright Fellowship of the Graduate School of Design, and a Graham Foundation Grantee for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts for research.
Mr. Morgan is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects and a past chairman of the AIA Committee on Design.
In 1961 Mr. Morgan established his architectural practice in Jacksonville, Florida. Well known for excellence in architectural design, his works range from modest residences to such major projects as the Florida State Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan; the U.S. Courthouse in Fort Lauderdale, Westinghouse World Headquarters in Orlando, Pyramid Condominium in Ocean City, Maryland; Bloomingdale’s store in Miami and Neiman Marcus in Ft. Lauderdale. Often published in the United States and abroad, numerous design awards have recognized his work.
Over the years, Mr. Morgan has lectured and served as a visiting critic at such architectural schools as Harvard, Tulane, North Carolina State University, and the University of Florida. Appointed Gibbons Eminent Scholar in Architecture and Urban Planning in 1990, he also has served as the Beinecke-Reeves Distinguished Chair in Architectural Preservation at the University of Florida. In 1998 the American Institute of Architects conferred an Institute Honor on Mr. Morgan in recognition of his lifelong research into the beginnings of architectural creativity.
Mr. Morgan was a pioneer in modern architecture and urban green design and his contributions will live on.